Nigel Lawson has an excellent piece on global warming at National Review Online this morning. Lawson’s essay properly identifies catastrophic anthropogenic global warming (CAGW) as a belief system, in fact very much like a religion.
The effort to demonize and marginalize global warming skeptics as “deniers” and other incendiary epithets is shameful. Consider:
- We have now had a sustained period of no warming that is nearly as long as the sustained period of slight warming around which most of the CAGW hysteria is based. Yet the latter is a mere “pause,” while the former is a clear harbinger of doom.
- As I wrote at some length a few years ago, Eastern Hemisphere industrial revolutions will pay whatever prissy little regulations we dribble out no mind, nor should they. Therefore, how much do we really expect to move this needle (if indeed it can be moved) when only the fully industrialized First World plays by whatever rules there are? There is one environment, is there not?
In my view, any return to sanity on this debate must assume that we are already, to some significant degree, wandering around on the other side of the problem. Let’s try hard to understand what we really can control, soberly and dispassionately. If global warming resumes, let’s concentrate on maximizing benefits (and yes, there are benefits). Let’s concentrate financial and logistical resources on addressing liabilities as they occur (or can be imminently predicted). Let’s stop pretending that, say, a Nissan Leaf plugged into mains current provided by a coal plant is anything but a possible convenience to its owner.
Let’s be rational.
You might also like:
- Thinking this global warming thing through
In Wallonia, a French-speaking region of Belgium, local authorities are fighting global warming by i…
- The Amazing Randi on global warming
I am a longtime fan of the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF). The JREF is perhaps best known…
- Three environmental concerns that worry me more than global warming
Bill Nye made headlines this week dropping F-bombs about global warming. (This post is a good entry …
- Brrrr…that’s global warming
“There is very important climatic change going on right now, and it’s not merely something of academ…
- “The science is settled.” Tell us another one, Uncle Al!
In case you haven’t heard—and given the shameless bias of most mainstream news sources (particularly…