The southeastern United States is enjoying a marvelously mild day. A splash of meteorological joy appearing amongst sustained seasonal malaise is historically bad for my blog, and today is no exception. Traffic is down 30-35%. In fact, I’m positively delighted you’re reading this. No one else is.
Winter Saturdays mean Upward for us, so we had Aaron’s game and then Nathan’s game today. I was supposed to volunteer on the grill this afternoon at our church’s seasonal restaurant The Christian Cafe, but another guy asked me to switch days with him. So it’s a tad more relaxing afternoon than I anticipated, though please understand, that’s an observation totally devoid of complaint. Stuff I’m doing:
- Checking out the Rolex 24 at Daytona. IndyCar doesn’t start for another two months, and it’s racing! I’m definitely a novice when it comes to sports car endurance racing, though.
- Loving all of the macro shots of the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona during said coverage. Rolex has a mystique that flirts with irrational, in my opinion, but there’s no doubt the Daytona is a spectacularly gorgeous watch. If you need a birthday or Christmas idea for me, I’ll take one. The steel version, which I’m totally fine with, is only about $12,000.
- Watching the boys enjoy their Razor Rip Rider 360s on a beautiful 65º afternoon. These things are so cool. I’d buy an adult version.
- Discovering that my Wi-Fi reaches into the garage just fine.
- Watching my neighbor Bobby wash his truck, and wondering if he knows that it’s about to rain for three days. I thought about yelling it across, but rejected the proposition as borderline jackassish. Want couth? There it is. Who says you can’t take me anywhere?
- Relishing The Call of the Wild. I really love the style of the narrative. It falls this weekend. I bought a big pile of Dover Thrift Editions—no-frills editions of classics, but unabridged—years ago for $1 a pop. I’ve only ever read a couple of them. I disappointed myself with how little I read in 2010, and I’m rectifying it in 2011. This is another rung on that ladder.
- Making Super Bowl viewing plans. I’ve decided the Packers get my support. This is partially because I was delighted with how consistently and genuinely polite and warm Wisconsinites were on my first visit last year, and partially because one of the biggest jerks I’ve ever known is a Steelers fan.
- Putting the rest of the Avery India Pale Ale out of its misery. It’s not bad, but not worth repeating. This is not really its fault; there are simply too many other great IPAs out there. It’s a marvelous time to be a hophead.
- Reflecting on, and appreciating, some new challenges at work.
- Beginning to pleasantly anticipate the deluxe BLTs that got the nod for dinner.
- Feeling so blessed to have such a leisurely, unhurried, relaxed day, wanting for nothing. God is good.
I hope you’re having a good weekend.