- Ordered mustard, pickle, and onion on her hamburger without exception. (So she loved Krystals.)
- Was a stewardess for Northwest Airlines and living in Minnesota when she and Dad married.
- Liked and introduced me to peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches.
- Was addicted to, at one time or another, NyQuil and Neo-Synephrine.
- Loved the ritual of an Episcopalian service. Grace in Anniston was my first church, and I vividly remember kneeling, standing, and sitting with her.
- Strongly preferred white lights to colored lights at Christmastime.
- Always had the iconic 6 1/2 oz. Coca-Cola bottle when we would eat at the Golden Rule BBQ.
- Owned a 1969 Chevrolet Brookwood named Herkimer, a 1977 Buick Estate Wagon named Osnoggle, a 1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic named Rosemary, and a 1992 Honda Accord named Camellia.
- Never saw a Star Wars movie.
- Hated for anyone to touch her head.
- Howled to near-breathlessness at that stupid singing mounted fish.
- Didn’t trust people with what she judged to be thin lips.
- Stole from doctor’s examination rooms regularly and shamelessly. I see I told that one already some time ago.
- Once played ZAFTIG to crush my last hopes in a Scrabble game.
- Worried about my spiritual health when I came for a few days at Christmas and she saw The Fountainhead on my nightstand.
- Batted .200 on husbands.
- Remained the greeting voice on her widower’s answering machine a full seven years after she died.
- Finally figured out that she could keep her furniture store salesperson peers from stealing her lighter if it was a pink Bic jr.
- Thought that calling soft drinks “bellywashes” would temper my consumption of them.
- Once knocked over a traffic pylon with Osnoggle solely for the amusement of her children.
- Pretended to like my first fiancée.
- Pretended to dislike my second fiancée (and wife).
- Had ridiculously skinny legs. She used to tell of a high school classmate who would tease “don’t step in any Coke bottles, Russell.”
- Went through a brief but intense CB radio period. Her handle was Sugar.
- Adored the little colored plastic animals Sonic used to put on top of their milkshakes.
- Would exclaim “well, fuck me runnin’!” when others might have said “well, I’ll be!” or “how about that!”
- Missed meeting two grandsons who would have given her tremendous pleasure, and vice versa.
- Has my love now and forever. I miss you, Mom.
You might also like:
Meet one of my guilty pleasures. This is Alecia Moore, much better known as Pink (or P!nk, but that’…
- The second coming of John Kerry?
Kerry for VP? Could it happen? This guy thinks so. I kind of hope so, actually. I’m hard-pressed to …
- Returning to Quintard Mall
Danette and I spent some time in Quintard Mall when I was down last weekend. Quintard Mall has doubl…
- “A comprehensive social media strategy”? Being that guy…for a bit
I get followers on Twitter from time to time whose bios are full of nebulous marketingese, but it’s …
- Thursday miscellanea #223
Today is Valentine’s Day! I wish you a marvelous outing of highly specific consumption of consumer …