- Kelly, I’m sorry that Thursday miscellanea is two days late. The biggest celebrity of my lifetime died, and then I had another skunk story.
- When I was a boy in the late ’70s, my dad had exactly two celebrity crushes: Lynda Carter and Farrah Fawcett-Majors (remember, she was Mrs. Six Million Dollar Man then). I still remember going to the beach one year with a T-shirt that matched his, each with the iconic red swimsuit photo of Farrah. How cool was that? Might have to dig out Logan’s Run this weekend. RIP.
- Watched Taken on Blu-ray on Sunday with Lea, and we both loved it. It checks in at 93 minutes soaking wet, and you want to know why it’s so lean? Because it skips all of the pseudo-moralizing and hand-wringing about the good guy’s guilt, and the bad guy’s motivation, and how White Men who work for Big Oil in the Great Satan America are somehow responsible for it all. “Sometimes, bad is bad.” – Huey Lewis and the News
- Watched Up in 3D on Thursday with my family. It was my Father’s Day present, and a fine one it was. Pixar earns partial redemption from that largely dreadful robot movie. I’m not sure the 3D added much to the experience for me, but as they say, YMMV. Pixarians, where the bloody hell is The Incredibles 2?
- When I see her again—probably next week—Melanie’s got some of those upside-down tomato planter things for me, courtesy of her recently deceased mother. I’m excited about it, because Nathan went through the roof when we saw an ad for them and I didn’t order them right then. It may be a Web 2.0 world, but the power of television remains scary.
- I know you have a right to be there. But bicyclists, you might consider sliding your schedule just a little bit if you insist on riding to and from work. Using a two-lane, bicycle-laneless route out of the arsenal at 5:00 may be legal, but it’s also thoroughly asinine.
- More geocaching soon. Been much too long.
- The two ingredients with confirmed spots in tonight’s dinner, so far, are shrimp and home-grown banana peppers. Ahhhh. How poorly could that possibly go? I hope you’re having a good weekend too.
You might also like:
- Thursday miscellanea #425
I have such grand plans for the long weekend in terms of getting things done at home. I better sit …
- Thursday miscellanea #70
“The earthquake is also a reminder that while natural calamities do not discriminate between rich c…
- Thursday miscellanea #132
I hope that was our last flirtation with a freeze. I’ve extinguished and relit the pilot on the gas…
- Thursday miscellanea #234
Tommy cut me in on his order of five premium chili powders from Mild Bill’s. Can’t wait to try some …
- Thursday miscellanea #287
Supposed to rain all weekend. The NFL has announced it’s going with Super Bowl 50 as the official na…