- Congratulations to Simon Pagenaud for a dominating performance in Sunday’s Indianapolis 500. What a great drive to complete the May sweep of the Brickyard!
- I’ve never liked restroom hand dryers. Do I feel vindicated? Maybe a little.
- Duluth Trading in Madison opens one week from today! I’ve been a happy customer for several years now. With a local store, I’m looking forward to being able to try things on easily (like pants).
- Lea and I just finished season 2 of Bosch last night, but noticed that season 5 of Luther is out there now. We may have to break and knock that out first. I guess Bosch and Luther are my first favorite fictitious cops since Ponch and Jon.
- More Black Mirror next week! Only three episodes, but I’ll take it!
- Locals, remember when it just wouldn’t stop raining? Is this better or worse?
- Soon there will be a more regular—and voluminous!—approach to food reviews on BoWilliams.com. (I tipped one coming-soon yesterday.) I am still settling details, but going forward there will be new local review content every week.
I’ll be starting a new ongoing post series soon, featuring some of the best menu items the Huntsville area has to offer.
Expect a heavy emphasis on local restaurateurs. Expect a price in the immediate neighborhood of $10. And expect the best! Nothing will make it to this series without sustained excellence.
Can you guess what the first entry is?
Watch for the series to begin soon!
Once in a while I’ll run into someone who’s heard of peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches. But mostly, people recoil as if you’d suggested deep-fried dog crap. I don’t think I even knew it was considered weird until young adulthood. My mom made them for herself, and I liked them from about 10 years old on.
You make it like peanut butter and jelly, except use mayonnaise. A few points:
- You must use real mayonnaise, not Miracle Whip or other “dressings” that are sort of mayo-like.
- Any bread that will work for a PBJ is also fine for a peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich, but the nutritionally bankrupt, alarmingly uniform white bread is best. This is Sunbeam King Thin in the photo.
- Any peanut butter will work. I like creamy and full-sugar the best for peanut butter and mayonnaise.
- Just as peanut butter and banana is a good sandwich, so is peanut butter, banana, and mayonnaise. I suspect bacon would be good too, though I’ve never tried it. (I do enjoy peanut butter, banana, and crumbled bacon on a pancake.)
- A longtime special friend who was born with a rare, terrifying condition and was not expected to survive a 2002 heart transplant is celebrating her 55th birthday today. Happy Birthday Tonya!
- Motorsports Christmas Day approaches, and the #Indy500 weather forecast has improved somewhat. There was a 90% chance of rain forecast when we went in 2017, and not only did we never see a drop, it was actually sunny most of the day. Hoping for similar mojo Sunday!
- Formula 1 legend Niki Lauda has died at 70. RIP.
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will be out in a couple of months. I’ll see it, but my affection for Tarantino may be fading a bit. I’ve liked all of his films, but I haven’t really loved one since Death Proof. I’m considerably more excited about upcoming science fiction and horror sequels.
- Huntsville will soon be the largest city in Alabama, but this is a little deceptive. The Huntsville metropolitan area is still less than half the size of the Birmingham metropolitan area.
- The new Black Star Riders song was floating around Twitter this morning. I liked it, but I didn’t realize Damon Johnson was no longer in the band. (Still has a pretty Damon Johnsony riff.) He has a new solo record as of a couple of months ago. I’ll check it out this weekend.
- After committing to my doctor that I’d lose 15 pounds by the next appointment, the official weigh-in was -17. I’m now within two pounds of where I got to when I started getting sloppy and gave back too much of my progress last year. My focus is much tighter this time around. Soon I will need jeans.