- I can’t remember exactly how I felt the last time I quit caffeine. This time I’ve successfully avoided headaches with timely doses of aspirin, but wow, am I dragging. You know how much you wake up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night? I feel about 10% more awake than that.
- I’m tired of water already. I need to mix a little natural additive to jazz it up. (Like lemon juice and a few things, not vodka. Heh.)
- Physicists have detected gravitational waves that Einstein first predicted 100 years ago. Think about that while you’re trying to decide what to have for dinner tonight.
- Did you know that the Dave Clark was keeping bedside vigil when Freddie Mercury died?
- My restaurant reviews at Rocket City Mom are set for this month, March, and April. Watch for them.
- I took my tablets to Windows 10 immediately. But I’ve held onto Windows 8.1 on my home desktop machine because I needed something that wouldn’t work on Windows 10, and that is now resolved. May upgrade this weekend.
- Cold, clear Saturday coming. What’s the lowest high we’ve had so far this season? As I type, Saturday looks to be in the running for the title.
I worked with a guy some time back. Let’s call him Steve. I would guess Steve is 58 or 60 now. He’s been single as long as I’ve known him. He’s currently taking an extended vacation somewhere in a tropical part of the world, evaluating it as a possible spot for retirement. He posts beach and sunset photos periodically.
So Steve recently posted a photo of an attractive, and young, woman, calling her his “new friend.” She looked like she might have been 30, but she initially hit me as 26 or 27. The resulting comments were predictable: way to go Steve, how old is she, can she be everyone’s new friend, and so forth.
Now, sensing a golden comedic opportunity, I didn’t want to squander it. So I thought quite a bit before I commented “Hey, maybe she could have you over for cookies and milk and then y’all could play Barbies!”
Now I think the line is quite funny, but I’d have still withheld it had I known he’d take it so hard. But, really, what is the great offense here? How is my comment so different from what went before it? It’s a huge age difference. To be charitably vague, there are likely some dynamics in play here that are generally not in play with two people closer in age. That’s the subtext of the previous comments, just like it is mine, is it not?
So Steve can’t come back with a “yeah, yeah”? A “you’re just jealous that I’m at the beach with her, and you’re at work in cold, wet Huntsville”?
I’ve mentioned before that so far, my taste in women has tracked reliably with my age, and that I consider that a good thing. If yours doesn’t, more power to you both, and all the best.
(But grow a little skin. It’s small to take a smartass jab so seriously.)
I decided to watch The Visit, M. Night Shyamalan’s latest, by myself as a Tuesday nightcap. I liked it quite a bit. Genuinely creepy, but keeps a healthy and appropriate sense of humor. If you think from the trailer that you’d enjoy it, you will. It is now clear that the Browns will fire Johnny […]
Ted Cruz just won Iowa, and it was competitive, but hardly a photo finish. In fact, runner-up Donald Trump was much closer to Show horse Marco Rubio than he was Cruz. Pay attention, dudes and dolls, because the next two weeks will be educational (and, if such is your wont, entertaining). Donald Trump’s candidacy has […]
Today is the 30th anniversary of the Challenger disaster. Couldn’t believe it. Remembering our lost seven heroes today, and praying for those they left behind. Make sure you check out my review of Old Black Bear Brewing Company at Rocket City Mom. Looking forward to going back. The DeLorean is back! Expected production is one […]