- Looks like Beloved is the next selection for Alabamians Can Read. Check it out. Pick it up. Join us.
- I tried two new-to-me drink lines this week: LaCroix sparkling water and Zevia soda. I’ll finish the LaCroix that I bought, but I’m unlikely to get it again. The Zevia, however, is an intriguing product. Zevia is zero-calorie soda sweetened primarily with stevia, but also with a bit of erythritol and monk fruit extract (in other words, no artificial sweeteners). I liked the cola and really liked the black cherry. I’m looking forward to trying more flavors.
- “I wish I had more shrimp.” “When I was fixing them, you told me you wanted only eight.” “Yeah, but I didn’t know they were going to be good.”
- Mark McCarter muses about a return of Big Spring Jam. It’d be great, with a little booking care. And think about the proliferation of food trucks and breweries since the last Jam!
- Played with a colleague’s iPhone 6 Plus this week. When I hold it in my right hand I can’t reach the whole screen with my thumb, and it’s not even close. I think this means I won’t even consider a Lumia 1520 when I replace my phone next month.
- It’s as boring a college football weekend as we ever have, I think. Tonight’s UCLA-Arizona State game might be the best of the week.
- I’m getting all the way off Facebook (including the BoWilliams.com page). I’ve had enough. Still considering timing, but I’ve made my mind up. Maybe I’ll start quacking about the superiority of my behavior, like your jackass friends who don’t own a television and constantly wedge such into conversation.
- My friend Amanda, aka The Dining Dragon, has extensively redesigned her site and begun its second life as Huntsville Eats. Go check it out.
- I thought it was kind of cool that the new U2 album was free to iTunes users, but then I learned that you just got it, man. There was no opt-in. That’s creepy.
- I looked for a showtime for the Sin City sequel, thinking there might be a long lunch in my near future. Guess what? It’s not playing anywhere near here, and has totally tanked at the box office. I guess a bright spot is that I may have the Blu-ray sooner.
- Next month Amazon.com will introduce a “kids edition” of its Fire HD tablet. It comes with a 2-year, no-questions-asked replacement warranty. Am I overly cynical to believe that a goodly number of these will find their way to construction sites?
- Well, life without artificial sweeteners is interesting. I’m down to either unsweetened tea or water in a restaurant. I’m using a quart of lemon juice a week at home adding it to water.
- Alabama and Auburn both have games this week that should provide a little more clarity. I think Auburn underestimates Kansas State tonight at its peril. And Alabama? They’re 3-0 against mostly air, and Florida is stumbling into Bryant-Denny after needing all it had to beat Kentucky in overtime at the Swamp. Sounds like a classic trap scenario to me.
- It’s officially football weather. Only just, but it’s here.
AL.com has an interesting piece on TV dinners today, though it may be a bit confused. Frozen dinners are not necessarily TV dinners. TV dinners come in aluminum trays, and they go in the oven. If both of those things aren’t true, it’s not a TV dinner. They may not even make real ones anymore. [...]
Never heard of half the people whose nude photos were leaked this week. I’ve known for years that your body would burn alcohol before anything else for energy, so as long as it’s present, that’s what you’re running on. But did you know that your body’s ability to burn fat is damaged by up to [...]
Hello, football. Nice to see you. Did you know Aldous Huxley and C.S. Lewis both died November 22, 1963, the day JFK was assassinated? I didn’t. I see a particular vehicle on my morning commute maybe monthly. We’ll be together, or close to each other, but our routes diverge when she takes what she thinks [...]