- I decided to watch The Visit, M. Night Shyamalan’s latest, by myself as a Tuesday nightcap. I liked it quite a bit. Genuinely creepy, but keeps a healthy and appropriate sense of humor. If you think from the trailer that you’d enjoy it, you will.
- It is now clear that the Browns will fire Johnny Manziel as soon as is practical. Yes, he’s an adult, responsible for his own actions, blah blah blah. Even so, I saw Dad as a big problem three years ago, and I still do.
- On a much more grave football note, it seems Kenny Stabler had chronic traumatic encephalopathy. I hope the equipment and protocol measures we’re undertaking are effective. I also hope we can develop ways of measuring progress without needing a dead football player to do so (i.e. it’d be great if we could tell something useful about CTE from a 28-year-old who’s been playing for five years, which we currently can’t). I’m going to need this problem solved for me to continue following football. Yes, I just said that.
- I’m losing steadily, and for that I’m thankful, but I’m probably not going to collect on my first foray into Diet Bet. Enjoy, Paula!
- A new favorite trick: use broad slices of bell pepper as sandwich bread. Works great with turkey and Swiss.
- We saw a new Prius in the metal for the first time this past weekend. I’m glad we weren’t coming from lunch. Profile not bad, but a face only a mother could love. The outgoing generation is a spectacular sexpot compared to the new one.
- Mostly seasonal temps on deck, but as I type the forecast is sun and mid-50s for Sunday. Go for a walk before the game.
- Today is the 30th anniversary of the Challenger disaster. Couldn’t believe it. Remembering our lost seven heroes today, and praying for those they left behind.
- Make sure you check out my review of Old Black Bear Brewing Company at Rocket City Mom. Looking forward to going back.
- The DeLorean is back! Expected production is one per week, beginning in early 2017, at a price of “under $100K.” With only 300 expected, that sounds like a lot of money left on the table to me. Here’s hoping the 2017 model has more engine than the original did.
- When it comes to personal electronics, I generally stay away from Chinese brands no one’s ever heard of, but I may make an exception in this case. A company called Chuwi says it’s about to release a 12″ Windows 10 tablet with 2160 x 1440 resolution, 4GB RAM, ports galore, and a magnetic docking keyboard for $299. I’ll be reading the eventual Windows Central review with considerable interest.
- The Seinfeld finale first aired almost 18 years ago.
- Football’s nearly gone, and IndyCar doesn’t start until March 13, so I’m scrambling a bit. Rolex 24 at Daytona starts Saturday. That’s not great spectator racing, but it’s something.
- I’m working on a bit more structure for my posting patterns. My frequency has fallen off, and I’d really like to publish no fewer than four posts per week. Stay tuned, and thank you for reading BoWilliams.com.
Glenn Frey’s death at 67 continues an unusually brutal early 2016 when it comes to celebrities passing away. I’m sorry he’s gone, but it’s of limited personal impact. I’m pretty much permanently burned out on The Eagles’ music, and I believe the sociocultural significance (beyond that of a very successful rock band) some seem so […]
Alan Rickman has died at 69 after a short battle with cancer. It’s been a devastating week for legendary British performers. RIP. Alabama has added national title #16 by defeating a very talented Clemson team that mostly scorched the Tide defense at will. Happy to have enough offensive and special teams tricks in the bag […]
When I was in the tenth grade, Mr. Bennett, my geometry teacher, made the entire class memorize the squares of 1 through 25. That’s how I know off the top of my head that 19² is 361. And it’s amazing how often knowing those squares by heart has come in handy. “Is it bigger than […]