- When I had lunch with Saintseester this week, she was actually hoping the worst of the winter was over already. (It’s still January. I laughed at her.)
- Jay Leno is headlining this year’s Huntsville Hospital Foundation fundraiser. This is a good land for this organization, and he always was a talented comic. But I still don’t like him. He’s a bully. As far as I’m concerned, he’s mostly defined himself with a single, but severe, mistake the same way Woody Hayes did.
- Despite my having a Carolina Reaper notched, the Mongoose sauce remains formidable. I used too much on my jambalaya Tuesday night.
- I’m finally lurching through the rest of Orange is the New Black. Second half of the second season to go.
- Want a little window into my soul? I have a fetish for women who drive cars equipped with standard transmissions. This probably originated with Janine in her mom’s black 626 GT, and was reinforced by Tonya in her red Maxima.
- Drove up University from the Parkway to Target today. It’s literally been years. Century‘s expansion is going to be huge. I didn’t realize my Waffle House had perished altogether.
- Alabamians Can Read will have its broadcast on The Secret History of Wonder Woman on February 8. Longer hiatus than we intended, but we’re on again. Please join us.
- Rolex 24 at Daytona is this weekend! Bring on the motorsports. I didn’t care for how the football ended.
- I read today that European folklore often depicts vampires as having arithmomania—a strong urge to count things. It’s an expression of OCD. You scattered a lot of seeds on either side of a suspected vampire’s grave, so that when s/he got out to feed, s/he would get distracted counting them. (And hey, who knew I’d learn at 43 that Count von Count on Sesame Street had a dual meaning?)
- IndyCar Series 2005 has arrived, for all of $8! It’s fun. It’s another reason I’m pleased to have my original Xbox deployed.
- Taylor “who ordered the double cheese and sausage?” Negron died a couple of weeks ago. Also loved him in The Last Boy Scout. RIP.
- Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to current Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users. Good news indeed.
- There’s a 2012 Mel Gibson movie called Get the Gringo that’s available on Netflix, and worth your time. I quite enjoyed it.
- One of my favorite details in Breaking Bad is how much older Skyler looks at the end of the series than she does at the beginning. It’s a dramatic difference. If you ever go back through it looking for little treasures, watch for that one. That show is of tremendous quality.
We’ll see the 50s again on Saturday. Supposed to be sunny, even. I like the food at Phuket, but I’ve nearly always got the place mostly to myself. Even at dinnertime, it’s never much past half full. Obviously the place is making it, but I’ve never once waited to sit. (Get only Thai here, not […]
My thoughts and prayers are with the people of France, and most especially the friends and family of those who lost their lives in yesterday’s attack. God be with you. I don’t like driving with my coat on, so I usually lay it in the back seat before I go somewhere. It’s no problem when […]
As a society, it feels like we’re way too excited about ugly Christmas sweaters this year. Alabamians Can Read has postponed its next broadcast until after the first of the year. Because December. I’ve never had the storage capacity to carry my entire music collection with me before now. It’s pretty cool getting Cortana to […]