- We watched The Force Awakens this past weekend. Yeah, that’s a fine film indeed. No regrets giving it a 10/10.
- I had a can of coconut water with my salad at Earth Fare once. I didn’t like it. Now Lea and the boys have tried coconut water from Aldi. They didn’t like it either. We’re all done with coconut water for the rest of our lives. We feel fine about that.
- I lost my online relationship with one of my favorite young people last week. Best I can tell, she read a post on BoWilliams.com that she didn’t agree with and blocked me everywhere. That’s what too many of us do now, and it seems to me the younger the person, the worse the tendency. You disagree, you disappear. She’s smart, and a talented writer, too. It’s really too bad. I’ll miss her.
- Purple Rain is not a very good movie, but it’s (of course) worth seeing for the music. It’s on the big screen in the Huntsville area through the weekend.
- So I hear hither and yon that the next Alien movie is going to ignore 3 and Resurrection. I think that’s really the only way you can do it. I think Alien³ might have been really amazing with a more mature David Fincher directing it. As it sits, it’s one of the more splendidly illustrative examples of a squandered film. Of course, this is a chance for Newt to live—but as she’s 40 years old now and never acted again, I think she’ll need to be recast.
- New Nintendo console coming early next year. Sounds like they know they need a big differentiator.
- Need plans for Saturday? Come out to Straight to Ale for the 1st Sicario Heat Challenge. I’m entered. Activities begin about 3, with the challenge itself at 6.
- Please say a prayer for Ryan Parris, a fine young man I know by association about four different ways. He has a rare eye disease that is threatening, among other things, his University of Alabama football career.
- Earlier this week my friend Cliff, who is an Uber driver, picked up a fellow who had just been released from prison after serving 27 years for a crime he didn’t commit. (He was exonerated, presumably with DNA testing.) Cliff got to show him the Internet. Then he put some ’80s music on, and told him he hadn’t missed all that much on the music scene. The newly free man leaned back in the seat and cried.
- Today is the 104th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, as well as my father’s 72nd birthday. Happy Birthday, Dad!
- Now Johnny Manziel is a passenger in an alleged hit-and-run incident. If there is a bigger example of shamelessly wasted potential than this guy in the past 20 years, then I don’t know who it is.
- Do the Braves realize the season has started?
- IndyCar has announced a multi-year agreement with MillerCoors, which is welcome news. As exciting as the racing is, the sport has not been financially healthy in a long time. Here’s hoping this is a corner turned.
- Looks like a pretty Saturday, and our soccer game is early. The yard and garage shall receive our sustained attention.
There is a strong east wind as I type. That’s easily the least common direction from which wind comes around here. Always catches me off-guard. Lea and I haven’t had a good relationship with glass this week. Add replacement automotive side mirror glass to the list of things you can get on Amazon.com. And, for […]
Spring Break week is tough. My entire family lies around while I have to get up. It’s harder than it sounds. So Fall Out Boy’s “Centuries” includes an unambiguous and prominent bit of Suzanne Vega’s “Tom’s Diner.” When I was researching whether she was credited as a writer on “Centuries” (she is), I learned that […]
The IndyCar season is underway, and congratulations to Juan Pablo Montoya on winning at St. Petersburg. Looking forward to American open-wheel racing’s return to Phoenix a week from Saturday. Frank Sinatra Jr. has died at 72. RIP. We had a fantastic experience with Kevin Davis for our churches’ Upward season-end celebrations. He was responsive, affordable, […]