We did 52 hours this time last year, but this time was our niece’s wedding in western New Mexico. So Lea was gone for about 130 hours: Wednesday morning through Monday night. Here are five things we learned:
- Nathan’s dog Molly is capable of “grumpy.” We’d seen sad before, but this time Lea was just gone too long. Molly would gaze hopefully at the door, and when it wasn’t her mommy who came through it, her face fell and she wandered off to lie down. She wasn’t having any of you trying to play with her at that moment.
- The boys don’t necessarily pick poorly if you leave the menu to them. They chose salmon and asparagus for me to make for dinner last night.
- The first college football weekend was a great thing. It gave us a schedule.
- Inexplicably, both boys were ready for school with considerably less drama and more time to spare than when Lea is directing. As they sat reading with 20 minutes to go before departure, and only needing to put their shoes on, I asked “why can’t you guys do this for your mother?” Shrugs.
- I didn’t sleep any better without her the fifth night than I did the first.
Welcome home, Lea. We missed you.