- Ordered mustard, pickle, and onion on her hamburger without exception. (So she loved Krystals.)
- Was a stewardess for Northwest Airlines and living in Minnesota when she and Dad married.
- Liked and introduced me to peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches.
- Was addicted to, at one time or another, NyQuil and Neo-Synephrine.
- Loved the ritual of an Episcopalian service. Grace in Anniston was my first church, and I vividly remember kneeling, standing, and sitting with her.
- Strongly preferred white lights to colored lights at Christmastime.
- Always had the iconic 6 1/2 oz. Coca-Cola bottle when we would eat at the Golden Rule BBQ.
- Owned a 1969 Chevrolet Brookwood named Herkimer, a 1977 Buick Estate Wagon named Osnoggle, a 1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic named Rosemary, and a 1992 Honda Accord named Camellia.
- Never saw a Star Wars movie.
- Hated for anyone to touch her head.
- Howled to near-breathlessness at that stupid singing mounted fish.
- Didn’t trust people with what she judged to be thin lips.
- Stole from doctor’s examination rooms regularly and shamelessly. I see I told that one already some time ago.
- Once played ZAFTIG to crush my last hopes in a Scrabble game.
- Worried about my spiritual health when I came for a few days at Christmas and she saw The Fountainhead on my nightstand.
- Batted .200 on husbands.
- Remained the greeting voice on her widower’s answering machine a full seven years after she died.
- Finally figured out that she could keep her furniture store salesperson peers from stealing her lighter if it was a pink Bic jr.
- Thought that calling soft drinks “bellywashes” would temper my consumption of them.
- Once knocked over a traffic pylon with Osnoggle solely for the amusement of her children.
- Pretended to like my first fiancée.
- Pretended to dislike my second fiancée (and wife).
- Had ridiculously skinny legs. She used to tell of a high school classmate who would tease “don’t step in any Coke bottles, Russell.”
- Went through a brief but intense CB radio period. Her handle was Sugar.
- Adored the little colored plastic animals Sonic used to put on top of their milkshakes.
- Would exclaim “well, fuck me runnin’!” when others might have said “well, I’ll be!” or “how about that!”
- Missed meeting two grandsons who would have given her tremendous pleasure, and vice versa.
- Has my love now and forever. I miss you, Mom.
One of the vent holes in my black Alabama cap was a perfect mount for my television antenna yesterday. Also carried my little compressor, which functions as a portable power source and can run my little TV for a very long time. It was a great rig to watch the Alabama-Texas A&M game. Don’t I look cool?
It hasn’t been a horrible fall soccer season for football game conflicts, but this is the second year in a row I’ve had to watch the A&M game at the field.
Fall is my favorite time to go to the beach. We had great weather until yesterday, and even then it was just windy. It didn’t really rain until after dark. See you soon, Gulf Shores!
We didn’t get a photo of the entire team, but here is most of the core of IPA or the Highway, celebrating our trivia contest victory on Wednesday night. Thanks to Blue Pants and Earth and Stone for the wonderful food and beverages. Thanks to Carol and Brandy for surrounding me above. Heh. And do [...]
I got to Publix, got home, and got chili in the CROCK-POT® all before Nathan’s soccer game. So it’s been cooking since just before 9 this morning. Best day of football of the season so far. It’s 62º outside. None of this is conducive to me writing anything profound today. Hope you’re having a good [...]