University of Alabama head football coach Nick Saban’s contract is available for review online here. As has been widely discussed and reported, the terms of employment Saban negotiated are impressive.
I have reviewed the contract in detail, and I must say, I was surprised by some of the provisions therein. Here are a few gems I found:
- No later than 10 am every Monday morning, or no later than 10 am every Monday and Thursday morning during football season, University shall place two one-pound bags of Funyuns on desk of Employee.
- University agrees that upon Employee winning a second BCS national championship during the duration of this contract, the name of Denny Chimes, located on the south side of the Quad along University Boulevard, shall become Saban Chimes.
- The University will provide or make arrangements for Employee’s use of sixteen (16) first-tier tickets to all World Wrestling Federation events occurring within a 100-mile radius of the University.
- As additional compensation to Employee as Head Coach, during each Contract Year upon reasonable advance notice the University shall furnish or otherwise make available to Employee an AH-64D Apache Longbow attack helicopter for a maximum of twenty-five (25) hours of flight time, with associated and reasonable fuel, munition, and ammunition costs also provided for.
- University agrees that, in addition to all other associated incentive compensation as previously specified, upon winning a BCS national championship, Employee shall receive gentle kiss on forehead from both athletic director and president of the university.