One of the vent holes in my black Alabama cap was a perfect mount for my television antenna yesterday. Also carried my little compressor, which functions as a portable power source and can run my little TV for a very long time. It was a great rig to watch the Alabama-Texas A&M game. Don’t I look cool?
It hasn’t been a horrible fall soccer season for football game conflicts, but this is the second year in a row I’ve had to watch the A&M game at the field.
When the weather turns cooler, one of our favorite go-tos for dinner is Lea’s mom’s chili soup.
- 1 lb. (or thereabouts) ground beef
- 1.5 quarts (or thereabouts) tomato juice
- 1 white onion
- 1 14-17-oz. can kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
Brown and drain the beef, chop the onion, and combine all ingredients except the macaroni in either a soup pot or a slow cooker (depending on when you need it to be ready). Simmer on low heat. When you’re 15 minutes (in a pot on the stove) or 30 minutes (in a slow cooker) out from dinner, turn the heat to medium-high and toss in the macaroni. When the pasta is done, reduce heat to serve. That’s it!
- All of the traditional chili accompaniments—sour cream, shredded cheddar, corn chips, and so forth—work well with this soup.
- We like ground round best for the beef.
- Use a full tablespoon of mass-market chili powder. If you’re using something nicer like a Mild Bill’s offering, start with two teaspoons and adjust as necessary.
- This soup is mild as it sits, but it takes super-hot peppers and sauces very well. I heat mine up considerably in the bowl.
It’d be tough for this to be any easier, and our whole family really enjoys it. Give it a shot next time you need something mindless after a long day.
Charles C.W. Cooke makes his 7,954th great point today: while fear of a widespread Ebola outbreak in the Unites States may be irrational, fear of government incompetence is eminently reasonable. Can these people do anything right? Quarantine? Yeah, probably a good idea unless you, you know, crave your favorite restaurant. We don’t need a travel [...]
With the passage of a little time, I’m appreciating Alabama’s defensive performance last weekend more. And we should have an easier time moving the ball this week. If we can avoid the unfathomably bad punt handling, I think Saturday may look better. I made stuffed shells last night that were just okay. I dislike putting [...]
You just kind of stand there like a cowed dog, don’t you? You know that pose? I do. I assume it every fall now. I know I’m going to get swatted; I’m just not quite sure how much. It looks like nearly a 20% bump in fixed medical insurance costs for me and my family [...]
BoWilliams.com is using WP-Gravatar